Forbidden Fruit and Veg, Badminton, South Glos, GL9 1DJ
Deadline for applications: 30 October 2021
Interviews (online): Monday 6 November
Visit to the farm week of; Monday 13th November
Decision from; Monday 20th November.
Start date: From Feb 2022
We are looking for an experienced grower and project manager to head up our established market garden and growing enterprise. As Head Grower you will report to the Project Director and be supported by regular ‘day’ and ‘live-in’ project volunteers.
The market garden was launched in 2020 and covers 1.3 acres with approximately 60% of this area currently in production. There are 3 large poly-tunnels and a small greenhouse and a wide variety of crops being grown under cover and outdoors. The remaining 40% of the garden is being prepared and covered with the aim to bring this into production in 2022/2023. The garden is being run to organic standards and we are planning to apply for organic certification in 2021.
This year we have successfully created and launched the brand and from June 2021 we have been supplying veg to local farm shops, restaurants and businesses, as well as delivering veg boxes locally. This July we started selling at our first farmers market in Bristol. This market is currently only open alternative Wednesdays, so could be supplemented by a Saturday or Sunday market.
The project is supported by local volunteers and ‘live-in’ WWOOFers and there is accommodation to support up to 4-5 live-in volunteers on-site at any time. Food from the garden will be grown for market with provision made to feed the Project Director, their family and the growing team. The volunteers will be provided with food and board and the recruitment and advertising for volunteers will be supported by the Project Director.
The grower will initially be provided with accommodation on-site and free food. As soon as suitable accommodation is found, the grower will then rent a local property at an assisted rental price until the net profits from the garden can pay for the full price.
The grower will be on a salary of £400 per week. (Once salary and costs have been covered for any year, any additional profit made from produce sales will go to the head grower.) The grower will be entitled to 25 days annual, to be taken during the quite period ie between December and March.
Applicants need to be able to demonstrate experience, training and qualifications relevant to the role and person specification. And/or have at least 3 years practical experience growing and selling locally in the UK or a similar climate in a chemical free or organic agricultural enterprise. The candidate should have a passion for sustainable and regenerative agriculture and a proven track record of managing, coordinating and training volunteers. The Head Grower, will be responsible for the market garden plan including sowing, planting, plant and soil care, harvesting and packing, also sales, advertising, marketing, distribution and accounts.
• UK Driving License (valid and current)
• Qualification or relevant experience in horticulture growing and selling.
• As our key public facing person you will need strong social, interpersonal and mediating skills with the ability to work as part of a team and communicate effectively with project stakeholders
• Comprehensive knowledge of organic food growing and at least 3 years practical experience of growing in a market garden or similar setting
• Experience of growing food to sell through market stalls, organic box schemes, farm shops and businesses
• A proven track record of developing a practical project, including managing and supporting a team of staff and volunteers
• A passion for organic food growing and sustainable and regenerative agriculture practices
• Proficiency in IT and competent user of social media to promote the brand, and sell the produce
Please send your CV and a covering letter addressing the person specification above to [email protected], or by post to: Tracy Worcester, Farms not Factories, Dower House, Badminton, South Glos, GL9 1DJ. 01 454 218 491 or 078 909 717 21