This one-day course is an opportunity to gain practical skills and understanding in how to care for apple and pear trees.
The course will cover:
• The history and mystery of apple cultivation.
• Planning & preparing the Garden Site.
• Rootstocks, varieties, pollination & fruiting.
• Sourcing & choosing winter bare root apple and pear trees (also quince & medlar).
• Digging, Planting, Staking,
• Mulching, Protection and Aftercare.
• Pruning tools and their uses – secateurs, pruning saws, loppers.
• Formative Pruning: principles and practice
• Maintenance Pruning: Principles and Practice
About the Tutor: Anthony Ward is Orchard Keeper at the Chalice Well Trust in Glastonbury where his current Orchard Mentor is legendary Somerset Apple Man Les Davies MBE. Before taking an NOCN course in Organic Horticulture at Bristol College in 2002 and becoming a self-employed Bicycling Gardener Anthony was a teacher and facilitator in Further and Adult Education in Dorset and in Galicia in Spain. A student and friend of the late Permaculture teacher Patrick Whitefield he believes passionately that orchard management skills and passing on the art and science of cultivating fruit trees is vital to the future of the local food economy in Avalon.
Members of the Permaculture Association can add Events, Courses, Jobs and Opportunities to the website noticeboard.
Join or log in to add yours.
Become a member