How to book: To book please email [email protected]
When: Saturday 2nd July 2016, 10am – 4pm
Where: At Brook End LAND Centre, Compton Dundon, Near Street & GlastonburyDo you want to learn more about wild plants but don’t know where to start? Do you often wonder what plants are, but not know how to identify them?What: This one-day course will provide you with an overview of some of the most common families of flowering plants in the UK – once you know these recognising plants will get a lot easier, and you’ll start seeing how unfamiliar plants are related to ones you already know.
Keys are the most frequently used method to identify plants, but they require a bit of prior knowledge. Come along to get that knowledge and learn how to use keys in a friendly, accessible environment. Open to complete beginners but also suitable for improvers.
By the end of the course you will have:
• Basic knowledge of plant taxonomy
• Knowledge of the key features of common families of UK flowering plants
• Familiarity with common species of UK wild plants
• Knowledge of basic plant physiology
• Knowledge of key plant habitats
You will know how to:
• How to use knowledge of families to help identify unfamiliar plants • How to use a key
• How to make a short dichotomous key
• How to use a hand lens
Cost: The course is free for adults in receipt of state benefits, otherwise £10-£50 donation. Bring lunch to share. Booking essential. Please bring a hands len if you have one and any plant ID books you have.