This one-day course is an opportunity to gain practical skills in orchard management. The course will cover:
• Planning & preparing the Orchard.
• Rootstocks & varieties.
• Sourcing & choosing trees for cooking, eating, juicing and cider.
• Digging, Planting, Staking, Mulching.
• Protection and Aftercare for Orchard trees.
• Formative pruning, maintenance and restoration pruning.
• Pruning tools & equipment, including tool maintenance.
• Ladders and Health and Safety.
• Orchard Land Management – Grazing, Mowing, Mulching, Feeding, Watering, Hedging, Fencing, Forest Gardening.
• Bees and Wildlife.
About the Tutor: Anthony Ward is Orchard Keeper at the Chalice Well Trust in Glastonbury where his current Orchard Mentor is legendary Somerset Apple Man Les Davies MBE. Before taking an NOCN course in Organic Horticulture at Bristol College in 2002 and becoming a self-employed Bicycling Gardener Anthony was a teacher and facilitator in Further and Adult Education in Dorset and in Galicia in Spain. A student and friend of the late Permaculture teacher Patrick Whitefield he believes passionately that orchard management skills and passing on the art and science of cultivating fruit trees is vital to the future of the local food economy in Avalon.