We have designed the course be held in two six day modules with six weeks in between. This structure will allow participants to return to his/her home or land with “new eyes” to complete the observation process before beginning the design phase. Each participant will leave the course with a mapped design of a piece of land.
TOPICS TO BE COVERED INCLUDE:
* Theory and Principles of Design
* Methods of Design
* Understanding Ecosystems
* Reading the Land & Understanding Natural Processes
* Large and Small Scale Land Restoration
* Water Management (including water harvesting, grey water use, and earthworks)
* Soil Rehabilitation and Erosion Control
* Livestock, Green Manures and Farmers' Trees
* Intensive Vegetable & Fruit Production
* Food Forests & Plant Guilds
* Windbreaks and Bushfire Control
* Energy Conservation Technologies
* Appropriate Technologies and Renewable Energies
* Wildlife Management
* Integrated Pest Management
* Natural & Improved Building Strategies
* Integrated Systems Design for Human Settlements
ABOUT THE LEAD FACILITATOR Lead Facilitator Kristof Nordin has 12 years of experience of practicing and teaching permaculture which began with his service as a Peace Corps volunteer. Kristof is well versed in the use of traditional Malawian plants and is especially knowledgeable in the linkage between agricultural production and nutrition.
COURSE LANGUAGE: The course will be conducted in English with Chichewa & Chitumbuka translation available for clarification of points. Participants should have a strong command of English.
CERTIFICATION: Upon successful completion and with full attendance, participants will receive a certificate of attendance which highlights the areas of competencies and which is recognised by the international permaculture community.
COURSE COSTS: All prices are quoted in US$ and payable in MK: $575.00