Find Out More
Why do the diploma?
Completing the diploma in Applied Permaculture Design will make you a better designer, open up new work opportunities, help you to live more sustainably, and is an opportunity to make new friends:
- Creating and reflecting on your designs will improve your professional practice and provide an opportunity to explore areas that interest you.
- During the diploma you will develop a portfolio of design work that can demonstrate your skills to future employers and potential clients.
- The diploma is also a big step towards becoming a permaculture teacher; once you have the diploma and a teaching qualification you can award Permaculture Association's PDC Certificates.
- After graduating from the diploma, you may also train to be a diploma tutor, and earn an income from guiding others on their diploma journeys.
- Many graduates of the diploma note that it is a great way to examine your own lifestyle, and to help you to lead a more sustainable life.
- Once registered on the diploma, you are eligible to attend the Diploma Gathering (usually held every nine months - the next one is in North Wales in November - more details to be confirmed). This, plus local diploma support groups are great ways to meet new people and make friends.
About the course
The Diploma is a course of self-directed study that takes a minimum of two years. During the course, you will prepare ten designs that demonstrate your ability to apply permaculture ethics and principles and show your competence at using a range of design methods, tools and skills.
Supported & Independent Routes
You can choose to take the Supported route or the Independent route. The Supported route includes tutorial support and gives you much more guidance and feedback on your design work. We now also offer the Supported Route Plus, which includes two extra design support tutorials.
The Independent route is primarily for those people who already have an extensive body of work that they wish to get accredited or for people who feel they don't need so much support.
There is more information in the diploma guidebook - see below - or feel free to contact Cath at the office if you've any queries.
To register on the diploma, you need to hold a PDC (Permaculture Design Certificate) and be a member of the Permaculture Association for the duration of your study.
There is an active network of diploma apprentices, holders and tutors who meet at the Diploma Gathering to share design work, host workshops, hold tutorials and socialise.
There is also an active diploma facebook group.
There are tutors throughout the country. Please check the diploma tutor register for their details.
The fees guide is available below. We operate a flexible payment system to make it more affordable.
If you still think you'll struggle to find the fee, you could try crowd funding your diploma. You could invite funders to pay part of your fees in return for a design. For example, if you choose the supported route, you could invite 10 funders to invest £75 each, and in return you pledge to produce a design for them. We're happy to use our communications channels to publicise your crowdfunding campaign to help link you up with investors.
To register for the diploma, simply download and complete the registration forms below. Alternatively, sign up online here