Alongside supporting members and providing free services to the public, we are engaged in a range of funded projects that help us further our aims. We are very grateful for the generous financial assistance given to us by current and previous funders and the many donations given by members.
- The LAND project – a four year project to develop a national demonstration network. Funded by the Local Food scheme and the Esmée Fairbairn Foundation.
- The Permaculture Association is a consortium member of Local Food, and also sits on the steering group for the fund. Managed by the Royal Society of Wildlife Trusts (RSWT) and 15 consortium members, on behalf of the BIG Lottery Fund, Local Food is a £50 million programme that is distributing grants to a variety of food-related projects to help make locally grown food accessible and affordable to local communities.
Communities will benefit from improved health and well-being through exercise and better nutrition; strengthened local economies through the creation of social enterprises; and more sustainability through the better use of resources such as food redistribution and composting. The programme is now closed to new applications, but for more information about grants awarded and other resources see www.localfoodgrants.org
In the pipeline (actively seeking financial support):
- Eco-farming initiative – a collaboration of eco-farming organisations and practitioners has come together and now seeks funds to support an innovative programme of action.
- Permaculture national archive project – as the oldest permaculture organisation in the UK, we feel we have a responsibility to act as custodians of the story of our shared adventure!
- Permaculture Research Initiative – a strategy is in place, now we need a dedicated worker to support and encourage practitioners, collate existing research and ensure that permaculture starts to feature in academic literature.
Contact Andy Goldring at the Permaculture Association if you would like to have more information about these projects or offer support.
A selection of previous projects:
- Developing Water Security in El Salvador. A three year programme funded by the Big Lottery Fund's International Grants Programme
- SPAN project. A three year project carried out in partnership with the Federation of City Farms and Community Gardens, Women's Environmental Network, Garden Organic (formerly HDRA) and the Community Composting Network. Funded by Defra's Environmental Action Fund. For details of the project and a copy of the manifesto that was produced: From the Ground Up, A Manifesto to Inspire Community Growing, see www.spanpartnership.org.uk
- The Permaculture Teachers Guide, 2000. Funded by WWF-UK and co-published with Permanent Publications.
- Website development. Funded by the Polden Puckham Charitable Foundation.
- Permaculture Briefing Pack. A new information pack was developed with the kind assistance of the Yapp Charitable Foundation.