Permaculture designer/ project coordinator, Tanzania

Type of job: 
full time
About the Job: 

Ras Kisimani Ltd. is looking for a talented individual to coordinate a variety of small-scale sustainable permaculture projects with emphases on business and marketing, education, health, and community development in Mafia Island, Tanzania. The Project Manager will work under Ras Kisimani Management and will be responsible for the implementation and oversight of the projects.

Organizational Background
Ras Kisimani Ltd, owner of plot no. 829 Kisimani Area, is developing its land of about 120 acres at Ras Kisimani area. We are planning to start a Permaculture Farm on 70% of our property. The other 30% will be reserved for Eco Lodging and tourism. For further information visit our website at www.raskisimani.com.

Responsibilities

  • Coordinate a pilot Permaculture design project/plan at Ras Kisimani named Kisimani Farm that will lead to full implementation.
  • Oversee a training program in basic principles of Permaculture/organic farming reaching to a neighboring community groups.
  • Develop an organic Farm with aims of feeding the Ras Kisimani Eco Lodges and selling surplus for income.
  • Coordinate a pilot organic market production program.
  • Ensure consistency, continuity and follow-up across projects.
  • Provide ongoing technical support and oversight at demonstration sites in the community.
  • Coordinate monitoring and evaluation activities to ensure that goals are being met and to collect feedback for project adaptation as necessary.
  • Manage project budgets and keep detailed accounting records.
  • Coordinate activities of at least three full-time and daily casual laborers employees.
  • Submit monthly, quarterly, and end-of-project financial and activity reports.

Qualifications

  • A degree in sustainable/Organic agriculture or the equivalent in practical field experience.
  • A Permaculture Design Course certificate and experience of implementing Permaculture projects.
  • Minimum two years’ field experience working in sustainable agriculture and communitiesdevelopment, preferred practical experience in organic agriculture and Permaculture.
  • Experience in project coordination and management in rural areas, particularly with smallholder farmer producer groups.
  • Familiarity with methods in participatory planning, monitoring and evaluation.
  • Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and Swahili competence.
  • Comfortable working both independently and as part of an international team.
  • Willingness to live and work in Mafia Island in rural south Tanzania.
  • Flexible, adaptable, eager to learn and teach, willing to work at all levels of the project, committed to a vision of Permaculture/sustainable agriculture for community development.

Salary and Benefits

  • Competitive salary and benefits.
  • One-year contract with possibility for extension, beginning with three-month trial period.

To Apply: Please send a CV and letter explaining your interest in the position and how your skills and experience are relevant to the desired qualifications to Sheena at admin@pri-kenya.org

Final application deadline is 25 September 2013, but applications will be considered as they are received.

 

http://www.pri-kenya.org/category/blog/

Closing date for applications: 
Wednesday, 25 September, 2013